Fix almost all iTunes errors that you face while downgrading or Upgrading your iOS device on your Mac or Windows. This how-to article involves detailed description of the errors!
If you are one among the many who frequently face these annoying iTunes errors, then you aren’t alone. These iTunes errors are the most common errors that many face while Downgrading or Upgrading your iOS device with either a firmware you downloaded, or while restoring your device with the one you downloaded via iTunes. Recently I wrote a tutorial on how to downgrade your iOS 5 to iOS 4.3.3 incase you did not like to stay on iOS 5 after Activating it with iOS 5 beta without a developer account. There were reports that many were experiencing iTunes error 3194.
If you are among those experiencing it, then just don’t panic. This is a common error.
[alert_box type="Error"]The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).[/alert_box]
[alert_box]Follow the below steps to recover from this error.[/alert_box]
- Download a copy of TinyUmbrella (For Windows, For Mac)
- Now, click on “Advanced settings” and check the “Set hosts to Cydia on exit”. (Mark it with a tick)
- Now, click on “Apply” and try restoring your iPhone or iPad or iPod with iTunes.
[alert_box]There is also another way to fix this. Here’s how you can do by editing the host file:[/alert_box]
- Quit iTunes (If it’s running)
- Now, you need to locate your hosts file. If you are on Mac OS, go to /etc/hosts. If you are on Windows then go to c:windowssystem32driversetchosts
- Open the hosts file with Administrator privileges
- Add the following lines to the bottom of the hosts file:
- Now, Connect your iPhone to the computer
- Launch iTunes
- Put the iPhone or iPad or iPod into DFU mode by turning the phone off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes pops a message saying that a device is in recovery mode.
- Now you can go ahead with the regular Restore process.
You can also follow Karthik on Google+ of Facebook or Twitter.